Are you an Indian Prairie Public Library Teen going into grades 7-12? Are you looking for a fun way to earn service hours, get job experience or make a difference in the community this summer? IPPL's VolunTEENs commit to 10 hours of volunteer service during the Summer Reading Club.
Registration Desk volunteers help register children and adults for the summer reading program, hand out prizes and may help with preparing craft materials for upcoming programs and other projects in the Library. Volunteers should plan on working at the library 2 hours per week. Registration VolunTEENs must be able to commit to a minimum of 10 hours between June 10 and August 11. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Chess coaches will help experienced players improve their game, and teach new players the basics. Volunteers are expected to set up before and clean up after chess tutoring. Coaches must be able to commit to working a minimum of 5 sessions throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Book Buddies are paired with elementary-grade readers to help them become better at reading aloud. Book Buddies must be able to commit to a minimum of 10 hours throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Additional Information about the VolunTEEN program:
- After attending one of the mandatory orientation sessions, Registration Desk VolunTEENs will be assigned hours on a first come-first serve basis.
- Book Buddies, Program Assistants and Chess Coaches assignments will be confirmed by the VolunTEEN coordinators via phone.
- Due to the limited number of positions available for certain jobs, you may be asked to choose an alternate position if your first choice has filled.
- VolunTEENs may work only the hours assigned to them.
- All requests for written recommendations or confirmation of hours completed will require one week to process.
Benefits of the VolunTEEN program:
- It's fun!
- If you complete 10 hours of service time, you can come to the VolunTEEN Party.
- Your work serves people of all ages and is a valuable contribution to the community.
- You may fulfill service hours for school, confirmation, honor society and other organizations.
- You are eligible to receive letters of recommendation for job references, honor society, as well as school and community awards.
- You are gaining valuable job experience if you do your job properly. You have the opportunity to demonstrate good attendance, dependability, creativity and interpersonal skills while you work with us.