- AARP Tax-Aide, a free service to taxpayers with middle and low incomes, will be available in the library starting in February.
- People can call to make appointments starting February 1, 2016, and the appointments will be on Mondays and Fridays from Feb. 12 through mid-April.
- Appointments can be made for 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, and 12:00. Call the Adult Services Desk to make an appointment at 630/887-8760 ext. 239.
- If you need to make an appointment for a different day of the week, try one of the other AARP tax preparation sites.
Other Tax Preparation Assistance
College of DuPage
- The College of DuPage is offering free assistance with electronic filing of state and federal tax returns on Saturday mornings, Feb. 27 through April 9 on the College’s main campus, 425 Fawell Blvd., in Glen Ellyn.
- Sessions are from 9 to 11:30 a.m. on Saturdays, Feb. 27; March 5, 12, 19; and April 2 and 9 in the Seaton Computing Center (SCC), Room 123.
- Students in Accounting 2200, under instructor supervision, will help students, staff and community members electronically file 1040 IL, 1040 and Schedules A-B forms. Free assistance is also provided for schedules C-EZ and small Schedule Ds (three items or less).
- Participants must bring tax information, the previous year’s return and account numbers if participants would like direct deposit. For more information, please call (630) 942-2140.
- The Center for Economic Progress (CEP) and Ladder Up will provide free income tax counseling and electronic filing for families with annual incomes less than $50,000 and individuals with annual incomes less than $25,000.
- Volunteer tax preparers can assist in filing federal and state income tax returns for the year 2015, and, in some cases, for prior years. The closest site is DeVry Education Group, 3005 Highland Pkwy., Downers Grove.
- Sites are open 9 a.m.-noon on the following Saturdays: Jan. 30; Feb. 6, 13, 20, 27; March 5, 12, 19, 26; April 2, 9, 16.
Each year, the library distributes tax forms sent to us by the federal government and the state of Illinois. This year, the library will only receive supplies of three federal IRS forms with instructions: 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ. To order paper copies of forms and booklets by phone: Call: 1-800-829-3676 or order paper copies online.
Forms and Publications Online
The Free File program provides free federal income tax preparation and electronic filing for eligible taxpayers through a partnership between the Internal Revenue Service and the Free File Alliance LLC, a group of private sector tax software companies. Many companies offer free or paid state tax preparation and e-filing services. Some companies may not offer state tax preparation and e-file services for all states.
All Illinois tax filers can file for free at MyTax Illinois.
Other Tax Sites
Tax forms for all states for the last five years.
Federal - 800/829-1040
- Individual Returns
- Teletax Information Line, refund status, and recorded information
- Business Returns
- Forms and Publications
State - 800/732-8866
- Illinois Tax Returns (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Forms and Publications
IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center
2001 Butterfield Road in the Mega Site/Esplanade Building, 12th Floor
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (closed on federal holidays)
Downers Grove Township Tax Assessor
Search the Downers Grove Township Tax Assessor's site by address or parcel number to view tax assessments for your area. If you search by the name of a street without the house number, you can retrieve a listing of all the tax assessments on that street.