Head of Adult Services
The Indian Prairie Public Library District is seeking a forward-thinking and inspiring leader to join our team as Head of Adult Services. We provide a dynamic, engaging team environment, valuing staff members’ initiative and contributions. Exceptional service is our passion and we pride ourselves on being caring and friendly, listening to the needs and interests of each individual, and developing services with deliberate and thoughtful care. We are committed to making everyone’s library experience enjoyable.
The successful candidate will:
• Be passionate about library services with fresh and innovative ideas.
• Be a highly-motivated professional possessing a vision for the future, demonstrated leadership and communication skills, and experience in meeting the challenges of today’s public library.
• Love to brainstorm and work with others throughout the library.
• Join the Library Director and other department heads in leading the library as we develop services, conduct long-range planning, and integrate user experience practices into the management of the library.
• Be a strong advocate and role model for providing excellent customer service.
• Lead talented staff, fostering teamwork and inspiring staff to be their best.
• Oversee the department budget and the many services offered for adults including reference and readers/media advisory, digital services, programming, marketing and outreach.
• Be knowledgeable about current technology and media.
• Hire, train and evaluate staff.
• Stay abreast of and evaluate trends while assessing the needs and interests of the community.
• Represent the library in the community and build relationships.
• Have a sense of humor and enjoy a good laugh.
Qualifications for the position include Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school. Minimum of five years progressively responsible experience in public library adult services. Minimum of three years management or supervisory experience. You’ll find the complete job description and qualifications at http://ippl.info/the-library/job-opportunities.
The salary is $54,347.00+ DOQ and includes IMRF pension plan, health insurance, life and disability insurance, and paid holidays, vacation, sick and personal time. The position works 37.5 hours/week including days, evenings and weekends.
The Indian Prairie Public Library District is located in Darien Illinois serving 42,000 residents in the communities of Darien, Willowbrook and Burr Ridge. Our Adult Services Department is extremely busy with a wide variety of services and programming. Our patrons love our services and the warm and friendly staff!
Summer Teen Intern
Hey, Teens! Do you like playing with robots, LEGOs, and electronic toys? Do you enjoy spending time with younger kids? The Indian Prairie Public Library is looking for a patient, playful teen who is interested in teaching technology to pre-K – middle school aged kids in the library this summer.
The selected candidate will be responsible for coordinating activities in The Wouldshop, our hands-on creative space where families learn and play together. Duties will include planning special classes to be offered in The WouldShop and assisting librarians with various events. Classes should be educational and fun, and focus on topics such as science, technology, robotics, and art. We will provide the candidate with all of the necessary tools and training.
This temporary position is made possible by the 2016 YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Association)/Dollar General Summer Teen Intern Grant. The position includes 10-12 hours per week at a pay rate of $10.50 per hour. The internship last for 8 weeks, from June – August. Applicants must be 16-19 years of age to qualify.
The Indian Prairie Public Library District is located in Darien Illinois serving 42,000 residents in the communities of Darien, Willowbrook and Burr Ridge. Our library is extremely busy with a wide variety of services and programming. Our patrons love our services and the warm and welcoming staff.