February and March, Bits and Pieces
I kid you not at all. You can enter a contest to win a free cremation. That not so little ad in the Obits section made my day. I thought, “Just my luck. I win some expensive prize and it will go up in smoke.” Looking at the bright side, a bargain is a bargain, isn’t it?
Having survived one of coldest Februaries on record this year and the Arctic Vortex of last year, I am wondering how we can top that next year. Maybe we can do the Boston thing and get snow up the yin yang.
Ah, but we change the clocks this month, and the light shall be with us. I’ve never figured out why we had to change the clocks in the first place. Rumor has it, it might have something to do with milking cows. Do cows get depressed without light?
If you tire of your own company or just can’t get about enough, we need to find happy distractions. These are my thoughts:
- Take a vacation from the news–not forever, just for a few days. Not to hear the woes of the world constantly is quite a boost for our psyche.
- Immerse yourself in a project, something that takes you to a new place mentally. Projects come in many packages, just looking for one is good juju.
- Call someone you don’t like to talk to. You’ll feel good about yourself. I mean this sincerely. Doing something kind lifts the spirit. Put yourself out there.
- There are special clamps you can buy to avoid falling. Nothing is foolproof, but getting out to walk the dog, or go to the car, so you can shop or visit, that’s a happy thought.
- Make soup. This always works.
My best thought is, spring always comes, every year for as long as I can remember. And we are tough. We have experienced more changes than any other generation. We are resilient. We are also very blessed.